Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Taking It to the Next Level?

The Bag Lady stopped at the General Store on her way home from work yesterday and had a chat with the new owner. He and his young staffer are really starting to play out - the store is open long hours, and he has, unexpectedly, found himself with just the two of them trying to run it. He had a couple of others working for him, but one of them moved away because her husband was transferred and the other left to start her own business!

Of course, the Bag Lady has a very soft head heart, so when she saw how tired he looked, she said that she could probably find a few spare hours to help out. She needs these next couple of days to try to get her garden harvested and the bounty of said garden dealt with, and then she will put in a couple of hours at the store most days in order to take some of the pressure off him and the young woman working for him.

Consequently, she didn't get home until after 5 pm. Imagine her surprise when she carried her load of groceries in the door and saw the table set (for three) and potatoes baking in the oven, corn husked and ready for the pot and hamburgers ready for the pan! The Rancher helped bring in the rest of her purchases, and she asked if the Princess now warranted her own place at the table.

The Rancher had invited his mom up for supper (the Bag Lady had guessed that already) and she and the Bag Lady were perfectly content to sit and watch while he prepared the entire meal. She hopes you all understand how rare an event this was - the Rancher has worked such long hours over the years the Bag Lady has been with him that he has seldom had the opportunity to cook. Fortunately, he hasn't really forgotten how even though he sometimes pretended that he had!!

So the Bag Lady, already very much a slacker in the blogging department, will probably be even worse about getting to visit everyone's blog and make her customary brilliant and witty inane comments, but she will do her best to keep up with everyone and, although she may end up having to read more than one post when she gets there, she will be around to read about what's happening with everyone.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

God bless your Rancher! I look forward to the day SuperDad makes dinner for me (it used to happen more often). Clearly, I need to get a job or two when he retires, LOL!

Cheryl Kohan said...

What a guy! And what a gal! You might just love working at the store so much that you want to do it full time - who knows?

No worries about visiting blogs...everyone understands, I'm pretty sure.

Levi said...

I would like one order of Rancher to go, please.
Thank you.

Oh, an a BL to live next to me.

the Bag Lady said...

kcinnova - it was such a nice surprise, but the Rancher made sure to point out that it wasn't going to happen every day! :)

CherylK - I actually really like working in town, so will be happy to try to juggle both jobs. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is driving back and forth to town in winter conditions! (I've turned into a bit of a coward in my old age!)

POD - Are you willing to pay shipping costs?
And believe me, I'd love to live next door to you - it sounds like you live in a great area! (Oh, and having you for a neighbour sounds great, too!)

JavaChick said...

You are going to be one busy lady with two jobs - as if you weren't already! Good to hear the Rancher is dusting off his cooking skills. :)

the Bag Lady said...

JavaChick - I just hope no-one else comes along with another job offer - I seem to have trouble saying no! :)

Leah J. Utas said...

What a great day, and on so many fronts. Good for you for taking on a 2nd job, and how wonderful to come home to dinner waiting.
Good for the Rancher.

the Bag Lady said...

dfLeah - it was a record day in many ways! :)

Scrumpy said...

Ah men, got to love them. At first you think "What a nice surprise." But then they always want a ticker tape parade for every effort, don't they?

the Bag Lady said...

Scrumpy - he actually didn't - this time! One does wonder, though, if there was an ulterior motive that will be revealed at a later time! :)

Sagan said...

Aw that's so sweet of you to lend a hand! Must have been nice to come home to a read-cooked dinner, too. I like those kinds of surprises.

the Bag Lady said...

Sagan - it was the best surprise of a surprising day. Now I just have to figure out how to encourage him to do it more often! :)

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Congrats on the new job, and yay to you, for having such a terrific husband!

Geosomin said...

Wow - tell the Rancher he is a great guy. What a nice way to end a busy day :)
Dont' worry about us...I know what it's like to not be able to post all the time from being busy...we'll keep coming by to read :)

the Bag Lady said...

BG - thanks! I'll tell the Rancher how terrific he is. Err... on second thought, I wouldn't want him getting a swelled head, so we'll just keep it to ourselves, 'kay? :)

Geo - Thanks! I'd really miss all my blog buddies if they stopped dropping by! I just hope I can keep up with everyone in blogland!

Charlotte said...

Aw - the Rancher sounds like such a sweetie!! And congrats on the new job!

The Fifth Sparrow said...

I feel competent to advise on how to keep the Rancher helping out. Keep on giving him praise, which he will "Aw shucks, weren't nuthing"...buuuutttt also (here is the sneaky part) praise him up to his friends, your girlfriends, his mother, the cows, the travelling tractor repairman, you name it. He will do his best to live up to it.

I think I know whereof I speak. Right now, Nameless Man is finishing the laundry and asking what I want for dinner. Night before last, he mopped floors.

the Bag Lady said...

Thanks, Charlotte! And yeah, the Rancher IS a pretty good guy!

Sparrow - I think I have to be a little more subtle than that. Something along the lines of yelling it from the rooftops.... :)

Amy Mullis said...

I knew when you mentioned the store, you would end up helping! You're such a sweetheart. There aren't enough hours in the day are there? This year my lie to myself, I mean my resolution, was to keep up with everybody's blogs. Turns out I usually have to read at least a week at a time. You're gonna do just fine.

the Bag Lady said...

Amy - thanks! And you're right - there does seem to be a shortage of hours... or perhaps I'm slowing down. Nah, that can't be it! :)