Thursday, September 24, 2009

Home-Grown Goodness

As most of you know, the Bag Lady lives on a ranch, raises cattle and has a wee garden. She delights in eating well (as evidenced by her ever-expanding arse) and nothing thrills her more than being able to say that everything on her plate was home-grown.

Well, she discovered there actually IS something that pleases her more than saying that everything on her plate was home-grown. Even better is when she can say that everything on her plate was home-grown, and the Rancher cooked it for her!!


He decided last night that he should barbecue some steaks for supper. Then he went out into the garden and brought in some corn (perhaps he heard the whispering, too!) and some potatoes.

Here is what he put on the Bag Lady's plate:



It was delicious, and the Bag Lady was really, really full after eating most of it! (She couldn't quite finish it all, but the Princess was more than willing to take up the slack!)

After the dishes were done, the Rancher, the Bag Lady and the Princess took advantage of the fabulous weather and went for a walk out in the pasture. The leaves are starting to turn, but the temperature was still in the high 20's (Celsius) (around 80F) at 7 pm.


And the Bag Lady's flower pots are still blooming nicely, too:

The Bag Lady has had a couple days off work, but returns tonight on evening shift. She didn't get as much done as she would have liked, but everyone needs to goof off a little once in awhile and enjoy the warm weather while it lasts, right?

17 comments:

Miz said...

life need more goofing off (and if youre me ;) more steak. I never make it for myself but love when someone else makes it for me or Im taken out. please to send this comment on to Ren Man!)

Hilary said...

Somehow I suspect that your goof off time is similar to most of our overly exhausting days. That dinner looked yummy. Good Rancher!

Scrumpy said...

That corn on the cob looks so good.

JavaChick said...

Yay for husbands cooking dinner! And yes, definitely enjoy the nice weather while you can. The less-nice weather is coming...

Leah J. Utas said...

Ranch food prepared by the Rancher. Damn. It doesn't get much better than that.
It all looked so very, very good.

Levi said...

Fresh picked corn is heaven on a plate. I have to get some. Too bad it won't be picked except UP from the store.
Farmer's market Saturday could still be selling.
I'm making my list. There have been nights in my past few years (alone) when all I ate for dinner was an ear of corn and it was delightful. I wouldn't give up the taste of that corn for a room full of people.

Charlotte said...

It's posts like this that make me want to just pack up the fam and head for the country. Can we move in with you?!? I would LOVE to say that everything on my plate was home grown. And it all looks so yummy:)

the Bag Lady said...

Miz - I'll be sure to pass along the message! :)

Hilary - well.... okay, I didn't goof off all that much, actually! But the dinner was excellent!

Scrumpy - it was, it was!!

JavaChick - with meals like that, I wouldn't mind if he cooked more often!

dfLeah - it was delicious! And all the better because everything was cooked on the barbecue - easy clean-up! :)

POD - get thee to the Farmer's Market on Sat. - support your local farmers! (and enjoy some corn, too!) :)

Charlotte - sure - c'mon up! Don't forget your winter coats (boots, snow suits, mitts, scarves, ear muffs and thermal underwear!) :)

Sagan said...

That sounds fantastic! All of it. The day off, the home-grown goodness... mmmmm tasty. Quality beef is the best.

Geosomin said...

That sounds like a fantastic evening :)

I wish I had a garden...all your veggies look so yummy.

Reb said...

Oh, now I have to go shopping...when are your next days off? I'll bring my cooler. :) Looks wonderful, good job Rancher!

P.S. there is a cow in your garden.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

A nice dinner and pleasant walk in good company...sounds idyllic!

the Bag Lady said...

Sagan - it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time! :)

Geo - it was great! Maybe next year you'll have time for a garden.

Reb - wish I had time to bring some to you!
And that is a cute little cow, isn't it?

BG - it was a lovely evening. Very relaxing.

The Fifth Sparrow said...

That looks beyond scrumptious!! I think nothing tastes better than food cooked by someone else.

Since you have sparked my growers bug I have to ask...what kind of seed did you use to make the lil' ole cow grow?

Anonymous said...

Your home-grown corn looks ever so much better than ours! Ours was rather wimpy and not worthy of a picture. On a good day, I could only eat half that steak... but I heartily approve of the Rancher being the cook!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Oh my goodness does that dinner look good!

I'm with Miz, here's to goofing off and steak, two things I want more of too!

the Bag Lady said...

Sparrow - isn't that a cute little cow? A friend of mine gave me two of those, so they are each in their own little garden!

kcinnova - We were quite worried that our corn wasn't going to produce much, but it turned out okay!

Crabby - The steak was excellent, and the goofing off was better!! :)