Monday, April 14, 2008

Tag Sale

The Bag Lady has been 'tagged'! Amy, who writes the hilarious blog, Mind Over Mullis, (which the Bag Lady highly recommends, but be sure to empty both your coffee cup and, for older types, your bladder, before you sit down!) has tagged the Bag.


Apparently, the Bag Lady also has to tag 5 of her fellow bloggers in the process. She has to state the rules, which are as follows: tell seven random and/or interesting facts about yourself, then get 5 friends to play along, and put links to each other's blogs. Well, all of that sounds simple enough, even for the Bag Lady!

The Bag Lady will tag her cousin, Leah, who writes the interesting and informative blog The Goat's Lunch Pail , as well as her sister, Reb, who is starting to post some great photos with her new camera over at Sibu Pegasus Power. Now comes the hard part, because the Bag Lady can dodge the bullets from her family, but she doesn't want to spoil any blog friendships if she can help it! So she's hoping she can entice Hilary, who posts terrific photos on The Smitten Image to play along, and Javachick, who blogs about exercise, life and her fabulous felines over at Javachick's Blog, and last, but certainly not least, she's hoping Dawn, the world-famous Kiwi author who blogs at the Flightless Writer will play, too! (Whew, the Bag Lady hopes she hasn't spoiled any friendships....) It was exceptionally difficult not to tag all her blog-buddies, so she is inviting everyone who would like to to play along!


Now, onto the seven random (because the Bag Lady doesn't have any interesting things to tell) facts about the Bag Lady:


1) When she was in grade two, the whole class would line up to take their turn at sharpening their pencils (goodness, she is dating herself, isn't she? Do they still even use pencils that need to be sharpened in school nowadays?) She had taken her turn, and was making her way back to her desk, pencil (with it's perfectly sharp point) held proudly aloft, when one of the boys in the line-up deliberately tripped her, causing her to fall, driving her perfectly sharpened pencil deep into her forehead! Forty-plus years later, it's still there; a little purple dot at her hairline! (wonder if that's what's wrong with her - lead poisoning?)


2) When she was in kindergarten and grade one, her father was going to the University of Alberta and they lived in the married-students' residence. She had to walk a mile to school, and took a fried egg sandwich almost every single day. (She warned you this would be boring!) Kids nowadays don't walk to school even if they live a block away. Did the Bag Lady mention what a skinny little kid she was? Or that she started kindergarten when she was 4 years old? Would parents nowadays allow a 4-year old to walk that far? No matter how cold, wet, hot, dry, or windy it was?


3) From the age of 12 until she was an adult, she was involved in an organization for girls called Job's Daughters. In order to belong, you had to be related to a Master Mason in good standing. The Bag Lady is a Past Honoured Queen. (Some famous Job's Daughters: Judy Garland, Debbie Reynolds and Kim Cattrall - the Bag Lady is in pretty good company!)


4) She's left-handed. And has green eyes. A couple of centuries ago, she would have been branded a witch for either of those things and burned at the stake....

5) She had a crush on David Cassidy when she was a teenager. Is there another soul out there who even knows who that is would admit to that?


6) She took ballet, modern jazz and highland dancing when she was young. When she was doing theatre, the only dancing required was tap dancing, which she didn't know how to do, but learned. She can still "shuffle off to Buffalo" if the need ever arises.


7) She used to play the piano (badly) and the guitar (worse), but never played an instrument in the orchestra or band (except for a quickly aborted attempt to play the tuba). For the same theatre production where she had to learn to tap dance, she also had to learn to play the baritone saxophone. The musical director taught her to "play by numbers". She strolled on stage, wearing a red feather boa as part of her costume, sang the intro (in her soprano vocal range), then played "On the Good Ship Lollipop" in the low range of the baritone sax! Brought the house down every time! Especially opening night when she had her nerve-dampened fingers on the wrong keys and the sax emitted a horrible, loud, deep bass HHHOOOONNNKKK!! Seasoned performer that she was (haha), she just shrugged, moved her fingers to the right keys, nodded to the accompanying pianist, and carried on.

Got a standing ovation. Thanks mom!


TA DA! (There, Amy, it's done!)


For those of you who are still awake, thanks for making it this far!!



28 comments:

Anonymous said...

you sell yourself WAY TOO SHORT, WOMAN!

I love learning these things about bloggers.

and specifically the mystery which is the B.L.

:)

Crabby McSlacker said...

Great list!

(And thank you for not tagging me, as I tend not to follow through on tags and then feel really crappy about it).

I too had a crush on David Cassidy, but also on his TV sister, Susan Dey. The little squirty smart-ass Bonaduce kid--not so much.

the Bag Lady said...

Miz - Thanks! It was hard to choose only 5 people to tag :) But you are welcome to play along....

Crabby - same for you, but I took pity because I knew you were still unpacking!! I was jealous of Susan because she actually got to be with David!! And total agreement on the Bonaduce kid.
Those days are long gone, eh?

Leah J. Utas said...

Okay, I liked Danny Bonaduce.
Fine list, Cousin.
Oh,and the number with the baritone sax was hilarious.

the Bag Lady said...

dfLeah - was that the production you came up and saw?
And Danny was amusing, but annoying.

Leah J. Utas said...

Yes, we did in fact see it. I remember it well. Was that "A Day In Hollywood. A Night In Ukraine?"

the Bag Lady said...

Yes, it was!! Good memory! That show was a huge amount of fun...and quite a challenge. Ah, those were the days...

JavaChick said...

I know who David Cassidy is but he was a bit before my time...

I will do the meme thing if I can actually think of seven interesting facts about myself...

the Bag Lady said...

Thanks, Javachick! I know there's lots of interesting stuff you could share with us!

Anonymous said...

HEY! David Cassidy was MY boyfriend! :-) Yes, I had the Partridge family alblums and the poster of David on my wall.
I also walked quite a ways to school up until grade 6 - and was a skinny little thing also. Now I see parents drive DOWN THE STREET to pick up their kids at the bus stop. No, not an exagerration...

Missicat

the Bag Lady said...

Oh, missicat, I always knew you had class and good taste!!
It is sad, isn't it, that in this day and age children aren't allowed the freedom we had. What does that say about our society?

Unknown said...

I just about killed myself laughing reading that. You have great stories!

And it's so true about kids never walking to school; when I was a nanny in a small village the mum would drive her girls (8 and 6 years old) to the school that was less than a 10 minute walk away... don't ask why. It would've been faster to walk there than to drive!

the Bag Lady said...

Sagan - so glad you enjoyed my stories! Thanks.
And yes, you do wonder about parents who drive their children such short distances. Is it because they fear for their safety, or is it just the societal norm now?

Reb said...

I remember you practicing that sax! Thanks for tagging me, I will have to try to find some interesting things about myself.

the Bag Lady said...

Hi, Reb: it was really bad, wasn't it? Got it eventually, though.
I have no doubt you'll come up with some very interesting facts about yourself.

Hilary said...

Baggie.. wondeful, interesting list. Very funny indeed. BUT.. like Crabby, I don't follow through on tags but this is the first time I'm going to feel crappy about it.. just not crappy enough to do it. ;)

Am I the only one who didn't have a crush on David Cassidy? It was Mr. Kincaid all the way! Kidding.. I'm KIDDING! Sheesh!

the Bag Lady said...

Hey, even Mr. Kinkaid had to have fans....Hilary. I'm sure you're not alone. Really.
I'm sorry for causing you any stress over the tagging...it's okay, as long as we can still be friends!

Hilary said...

I'll give it some thought and get back to you.

Hilary said...

ok! ;)

the Bag Lady said...

Whew.

Scrumpy said...

Love it!

My mom dropped a sharp pencil on her big toe as a kid and also still has the mark. Who knew pencils were so dangerous?

the Bag Lady said...

SB - personally, I think they should come with a warning label! (well, gee, everything else does!!)

Sunny Delight said...

I can't help it, my heart still flutters when I hear him sing, I Think I Love You...ah the days of teeny bopper crushes.

the Bag Lady said...

OMG, yes! Haven't heard that in forever!!

Amy Mullis said...

Omigosh, Bag Lady--David Cassidy was my dream man. I even saw him in concert! I had pictures of him all over my bedroom wall. Thanks for playing tag with me--I've let so many go by that I didn't respond to (and like crabby was feeling really guilty). I think it's neat to find out about you and see how alike we can be when we're so far apart. Well, except the part where I can't cook, can, clean, or grow things. But other than that. . .

the Bag Lady said...

Yup, twins. Separated at birth.
Thanks for the fun!

Dawn said...

Several days too late - as usual - but I'll take you up on the tag. I've done this one before and as there aren't that many interesting and unknown facs about me , I might be scratching the barrel this time. Of course, I could simply repeat what I said last time - I'm sure they weren't interesting enough for anyone to remember, but on the other hand, I've forgotten what I wrote too!

the Bag Lady said...

Dawn - you can't fool me - I'm sure there are lots of interesting things you could tell us!! Thanks for playing along!