Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Rose By Any Other Name...

The Bag Lady is a wee bit cranky today. In fact, if she's not careful, this could turn into a rant. Oh, what the hell....


What is it nowadays with everything having to be NEW AND IMPROVED? What was wrong with old and just-fine-thank-you-very-much ? The Bag Lady did laundry yesterday and opened her new bottle of fabric softener. It didn't say anything on the bottle about being NEW AND IMPROVED, but it smells different. It's much stronger, for one thing, and more perfumed. She liked it just the way it was - it had been that way for as long as she can remember, and there was nothing wrong with it. Now the Cowboy is going around smelling like some kinda flower, and he isn't liking it much!


The other thing that has annoyed the Bag Lady recently is that she can't find her usual cleaner anymore. It was NEW AND IMPROVED a few years ago, and she liked the smell of it, so she bought it. It was one of several different varieties put out by the same company, and was the best-smelling of the bunch, as far as the Bag Lady was concerned. Now she can find the other varieties, but the one she liked has been changed. It is now MULTI-PURPOSE, still labeled Spring Garden, but the bottle is a different colour, and smells more like apples. Not that the Bag Lady has anything against apples, mind you, but she likes to think that a spring garden smells more like flowers than apples.


And while she's on the topic of scents, she might as well express her dislike of vanilla scented everything. She loves real vanilla flavour, but the scented candles and everything else they try to pass off as vanilla make her gag. Vanilla perfume is the worst! Smells like sugar. Okay, they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but do women really want to smell like something he wants to eat ....oh wait,...this is not that kind of blog!!


What really upsets the Bag Lady is that they changed the fabric softener and didn't put anything on the label. There's no warning. And she bought an enormous, super-sized bottle. The kind that takes 3 arms to lift. By the time she works her way through that bottle, she'll either be so accustomed to the scent that she won't notice it anymore, or so old that she'll be grateful she can still smell anything at all!


So now with all these NEW AND IMPROVED products in her house, her Cowboy smells like a flower and her house smells like an orchard. Could be worse...the house could smell like the pasture and the Cowboy could smell like vanilla.... oh, never mind.

19 comments:

Hilary said...

I totally agree with the fake added vanilla smell/taste. I love real vanilla. I have no problem with artificial vanilla flavouring.. the cheap bottled vanilla stuff is not a problem for me. Everything else labeled vanilla is so far from either of those scents though. I have bought vanilla flavoured tea and thrown them out, yet I'll add vanilla extract (or the cheaper stuff) to my Chai and love it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices that difference.

Reb said...

Well, you know how I feel about using anything scented! The crap they pass off as Vanilla scented makes me gag too. What I don't get, is why I can't find a product, like my deodorant, that needs replacing. The tube I have say NEW & IMPROVED, but now I can't find it? It doesn't take me that long to go through deodorant! And why are they putting things like glycosomine in face cream? I am allergic to it and it is the brand I use that is doing this!

Anonymous said...

I SO AGREE.

and yet, with an ever flatulent BULLMASTIFF Im kinda all about the scents :)

Crabby McSlacker said...

Another fake-vanilla hater, signing in!

Although one thing that's assisted me in getting off Diet Sprite is that they recently changed the formula to make it more lemony or something--tastes like crap and they didn't say anything and I bought like a billion cases of it at Costco without knowing it was an Evil Imposter.

On the plus side, it was one less thing to move across country.

Leah J. Utas said...

I don't care for fake-scented anything and vanilla-crap is everywhere. I like the smell of clean in its own state. I don't need lemony crap, I don't need vanilla, and I don't need anything new and improved when old and adequate was doing the job just fine.
I'd better stop now or I'll be ranting.

the Bag Lady said...

Whew. Got thinking after I posted this that I would be alone in this particular rant. Glad to know I'm not.

Hilary - I'm the same about vanilla - I prefer the real vanilla extract, but will use the artificial. I bought the new Special K Satisfaction cereal to try it out - couldn't even eat the entire first bowl. Far too much fake vanilla. Anyone want to buy some cereal, cheap?

Reb - it's the Downy Ultra that I bought recently that smells so strong, so beware.

Mizfit - I, too, like to use scented candles and such to help with dispelling smelly things...the Princess has a wee problem, too...
just not vanilla-crap, thankyouverymuch!

Crabby - Costco is where I bought the Downy, too, and they've made the bottles even larger than they were!

Leah - old and adequate suited me just fine, too!! Do the manufacturers get bored, or what?!

JavaChick said...

Well now. I love the smell of vanilla and anytime I am baking I have to stop and sniff the vanilla extract when I open the bottle. Just smells so good. Some artificially scented stuff is awful, but some of it I don't mind. I used to wear the Vanilla Perfume Oil from The Body Shop (I did find it made me crave baked goods until I got used to it) and Husband (well, back then he was Boyfriend) certainly seemed to like it.

It is amazing what a difference scent can make though. I bought regular Tide liquid detergent for a long time and I don't remember paying that much attention to the smell. The for a while this winter I was using the Tide Free unscented stuff. Last time they didn't have any of that at the store, so I bought the regular tide and the first few times I did laundry with the new stuff, the scent really hit me over the head. But now I'm getting used to it again.

Scrumpy said...

You are too funny. :)

the Bag Lady said...

Javachick - oh yes, real vanilla extract smells marvelous, but the chemical fake perfume stuff turns the Bag Lady's stomach. She has had to walk away from some women wearing too much. (there are probably some people who feel the same way about the Bag Lady's perfume, too, though....right, Reb?)

SB - thanks!

Geosomin said...

I agree...I find it odd that things advertise having Febreeze in them (removing scent) and then a fresh scent...so you take a scent away and add another?
I have asthma so I like the unscented stuff...*that* is hard to find now. Closest I can get is some of the vanilla scents...which I don't mind, but I'd rather make cookies and smell them than do some laundry! My husband likes vanilla perfume as he thinks I smell like cookies, but I'd rther wear noscent at all...which is surprisingly hard to do now.

the Bag Lady said...

Geosomin - I can totally relate to the "no-scent" stuff - sister Reb is highly allergic to lots of perfumes, so it has made me pay more attention.
Of course, she lives far enough away that I am free to indulge my love of perfumes and scents in my own home. My favourites are more in the spicy area - cinnamon, etc.

Finding unscented room sprays is hard, though. Have you tried "Air Sponge" Odor Absorber? It's natural, organic and does really help.

Unknown said...

Javachick, I still use that perfume! There's some pretty bad smelling artificial vanilla flavours but that one's quite tasty.

Bag Lady I completely agree with you that the majority of the new and improved nonsense just ruins otherwise perfectly acceptable products. Being a health fanatic it especially drives me crazy when they do it with food and turn decently healthy stuff into heart attacks on plates! ("fruit chews made with real fruit" = downing a pint of sugar... why can't we eat a handful of cherries instead?)

the Bag Lady said...

Sagan - so the Vanilla Body Oil stuff isn't too bad? The Bag Lady doesn't know if she's ever smelled it.
One I smelled once was called Vanilla Musk (I think...) - it was revolting to me. Funny how we all react differently - actually, it's probably a good thing, or we wouldn't need perfumes and such 'cause we'd all smell the same. :)

And I agree - I'd much rather have a handful of cherries. In fact, I wish I had some right now! Can't wait for summer....

Anonymous said...

Do I have the world's only flatulent cat? I am talking audible here!
Sorry, TMI, I know....
I also bought the Tide Scentfree and love it - we are bombarded with soooo much scented product every day, once less smell to compete with everything is great.
Missicat

the Bag Lady said...

Missicat - neither of my cats have that problem, but the dog?! OMG!!!!! Never had a dog with such a problem!!

The Bag Lady likes a little scent in her laundry. The operative word being "little".

Emily said...

LOL, this is so funny! Flatulating animals? Gagging over scents? This will attract some good hits from google I bet.

I prefer the "clean" smells but anything over powering is unacceptable. I absolutely can't stand fruit scents! I'm weird, I know : )

We have the Air Wick automatic dispensing things and they work GREAT at dispelling dog odors before we get home (as opposed to walking in the house and wondering if you left something dead under the couch. For a week. In the heat.) Ok so it's not that bad but I do like the automatic things. And they don't overpower the room either.

Enough comment ranting.

the Bag Lady said...

Emily! You rant all you want in my comments section. And can't wait to read all about your holiday! Saw the pictures and it looks like you had a great time.

Dawn said...

I can indentify with the flatulating dog! We have one of those!

the Bag Lady said...

OMG, Dawn! This dog is only just turned 3, and she's already passed more wind than my last dog did in his entire 13 years!! What a rude awakening it's been (literally!!)