Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Post About Nothing

The Bag Lady is pleased to report that her tomato seeds have started to sprout! As have the herbs that she planted (did she mention that she planted herbs?) She would post a picture, but they are still pretty tiny and she's not sure how well they would show up, so she'll wait a few days.

In the meantime, she has absolutely nothing to say so much going on in her life, she can't even begin to tell you everything that's happening! She and the Cowboy hauled their calves to market yesterday. The Cowboy went to the sale, but he refuses to take the Bag Lady with him after the "unfortunate incident" involving the rather stern Hutterite man. (It wasn't the Bag Lady's fault, really! She can't help it if she's a little soft headed hearted! And if that man hadn't turned around when he did, he never would have noticed the tears...of course, it was probably the audible sobbing that attracted his attention in the first place!)

(Bye-bye, Babies)

So the Cowboy went to watch the sale and the Bag Lady stayed home and puttered around in the yard. She and the Princess walked out to the pasture and checked on the cows, picking up the infernal and inevitable baler twine that decorates the pasture when the snow melts. Then the Princess napped on the driveway while the Bag Lady went around the lawn with a shovel and picked up the infernal and inevitable stuff that the Princess leaves behind... oops, was that too much information?


The Bag Lady also pulled a few weeds out of her flower bed. She really hates using chemicals of any kind around her yard, so is in a constant battle with weeds. Unfortunately, the weeds always seem to be winning. They cheat, though, because they grow even when it's nasty weather, or the Bag Lady has other things to do and can't get out there to do battle. She may have to resort to some sort of chemical assistance this year because the quack grass has really taken over one of her flower beds. She was shocked at the sight of it when the snow melted off. She knows that somewhere in that mess are a couple of perennial flowers, but she's not sure she can save them.


It was a typical early spring day here. The sun was shining for most of the day, but there were lots of clouds scudding along. The temperature was mild enough to allow the Bag Lady to take off her jacket. It is supposed to stay about the same for most of the week, and warm up nicely by the weekend. At this rate, it will be dry enough to actually do some real yard work soon.





18 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

The "unfortunate incident" may call for a post on its own someday, dfBag Lady.

Not sure what to say about the quack grass. I suppose desperate times do call for desperate measures.

Hilary said...

Happy gardening.. way better than shoveling snow!

the Bag Lady said...

dfLeah - the "unfortunate incident" is better left in the past!! And the quack grass is definitely a desperate situation.

Hilary - too true! Gardening is so much more pleasant than snow-shoveling!

Emily said...

It sounds like such a nice, peaceful, relaxing day *sigh* I think you live a life only some of us can dream of...of course not with the shoveling of various animal's crap LOL!

I'll see you (comment you?) when I'm back from Hawaii next week!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds so nice. Do you want to trade and take over my nice desk job? :-)

Missicat

the Bag Lady said...

Oh, Emily - have a good time, you lucky woman, you! Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures and hearing how well you coped with the flying!!

the Bag Lady said...

Missicat - does it pay well? 'Cause this job doesn't pay worth a crap, but the benefits make it all worthwhile! (well, except that we don't have any dental coverage, or prescription coverage, or....)But if you're all about sunshine and hard work, this is the place! (Oh, and you have to be able to drink beer...)

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Sounds more interesting than what I do most days! Anytime you want to spend the day adjusting numbers in spreadsheets, I'll trade ya!

JavaChick said...

Darn weeds.

My seeds have not sprouted yet. I'm afraid that the basement may be a little too cool and I might have to find a place for them upstairs.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the pay is decent, but I don't have go-outdoor-and-pet-baby-animal benefits. wah.

Missicat

the Bag Lady said...

Well, BG, spreadsheets and numbers aren't the Bag Lady's bailiwick...but she could always start a "dude ranch" and all you gals could come and stay and learn all about cattle ranching first-hand!
Javachick - I find the top of the fridge is perfect - just warm enough to help the seeds germinate, but out of the way.
Missicat - anytime you feel the need to pet a baby calf, come on up!

Reb said...

I'm with Leah, you need to blog about the unfortunate incident!

Geosomin said...

That sounds like a lovely day. I'm thinking about a herb garden to (again) this year - I'm hopeful lthis year it will actually grow :)
I like sunshine and beer...do you have a summer student program there? :)

My Mum swears by a mixture of 1 to 1 of white vinegar and dish soap to spray on dandilions and weeds...too much and it kills the grass too, but give it a try if you're not into chmicals and want the weeds to go away. It's animal safe...and smells really nice.

Unknown said...

I must admit, I love pulling out weeds. It's so satisfying to rip them out of the ground, especially the really big ones. I miss gardening now that we've moved into a condo!

the Bag Lady said...

Reb - it's better left in the past. Really. It was no big deal.

Geosomin - Summer student program - good idea! The Bag Lady can have the students do all the work while she sits in the shade and drinks beer! And I'll be trying the vinegar and dish soap - thanks for the tip!
I had terrible luck last year with the herbs, too... here's hoping we both do better.

Sagan - I get a lot of satisfaction out of ripping those nasty weeds out of the ground, too, but there is just no end to the quack grass. You're welcome to come and do some weeding any time you're in the mood!! :)

Scrumpy said...

I think you need a Stetson for these pics in the pasture. :)

Amy Mullis said...

Bag Lady, you always make me smile. I wish you well with gardening--if you know any of my history with plants, you'll want me to send my good wishes from farrrrr away. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, except that if common sense was a course in school I would never graduate, but if you don't mind, I'm gonna link to you off Mind Over Mullis. You're a hoot!

the Bag Lady said...

SB - The Cowboy wears the Stetson 'round here, podner. **imagine that with a John Wayne drawl** :)

Amy - I would be totally honoured if you would link to my blog from yours. And I will do the same for you, if you don't mind, 'cause you're a hoot, too. (We're a coupl'a'wise ol' owls - well, wise-crackin', anyway!!) And thanks for the compliment!!