Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wednesday...the Rest of the Story!

The Bag Lady had a nice little post all planned for this morning, but her computer had other ideas. She had barely started writing her story when things went awry. Now that things are back under control (at least, she hopes they are!) here is the rest of the story:


The Bag Lady took a stroll out to the pasture yesterday to check on the cows, and on her way back, took a little detour through this patch of willows. It looked like such an inviting little trail to follow....
It led her to discover this delightful butterfly: (anyone know what kind of butterfly this is?)
I think it is a Canadian Tiger Swallowtail
What do you think?

She eventually made her way back to the house, and had to share a close-up shot of her "jungle" from the other day. This is the clematis that is threatening to take over her front step, and she is afraid to get too much closer because there have been a lot of small creatures disappearing lately! (and some ominous rustling noises can be heard from deep within it's bowels!)


(to refresh your memory, this is what it looks like from afar. The Bag Lady has started insisting that small children use a different door to access her house - she doesn't want them getting anywhere near this monster! It already seems to have it's sights set on that baby buggy...)
As the Bag Lady was strolling along in front of her flowerbed, she noticed that she had been followed!!
And lastly, as she was watering her vegetable garden this morning, this little guy stopped for a visit. He seemed to be enjoying the spray from the hose.


Please click on any of the photos to enlarge them. In fact, I invite you to do so with the butterfly photos in order to see them better!

11 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

Lovely tour and what gorgeous butterfly photos. The blue one is my favourite because blue is my favourite colour.

Hilary said...

I love those photos, Baggie. Butterflies are one of my two favourite insects.. dragonflies being the other (no duh after today's post).

You're in luck about that yellow one. It looks like the same one I photographed back in July of last year. When I looked it up, I discovered it to be an Appalachian Tiger Swallowtail. Here's a link to mine.. tell me if you'd agree?

the Bag Lady said...

dfLeah - thanks! I like the little blue one, too, 'cause it's such a pretty colour. It's probably some kind of destructive potato killer, or something, though - would be just my luck!

Hilary - I just looked at yours, and I think you're right about it being a Tiger Swallowtail, but I think it is a Canadian Tiger Swallowtail. It seems to have more blue on it's tail. Of course, I haven't a clue how to link to where I found a photo of butterflies in Alberta, but I'll see what I can do...
(how'd you do that, anyway?)

Reb said...

I almost missed the one on the tiger lilies! Great tour and photos Sis. I blue one is so pretty, it almost has a silvery shimmer to it.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Such lovely photos! One of my first sights upon moving into this house was a huge butterfly in the front yard. I took it as a good omen!

the Bag Lady said...

Thanks, Reb - I thought the blue one was really pretty, too. He wasn't very big - not even half the size of the other.

the Bag Lady said...

BG - I think you were right in taking that as a good omen!
I followed the yellow fellow around the pasture a good long while - every time I got close enough to take a picture, he flew away again.
He was much more co-operative on the tiger lilies!

Anonymous said...

Your photos are so calming and uplifting. I really enjoy them.

Beautiful little, blue butterfly. So nice of him to stop and say hello to you. :)

the Bag Lady said...

Thanks, Susan! The little blue guy hung around and kept me company for quite awhile. Think he was enjoying the cool water!

Maggie said...

Wow the blue butterfly is amazing. I'm jealous. I haven't been able to take a picture of one yet. Thanks for sharing such beautiful things around you.

the Bag Lady said...

Maggie - thanks. He was a little shy about posing at first, but finally consented to sit still. :)