Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fencing

Give me land, lots of land where the ....something something roam, Don't Fence Me In....
(Anyone remember the words? Anyone remember the song???)

Here's how the words ACTUALLY GO:

Give me land, lots of land UNDER STARRY SKIES ABOVE, Don't fence me in....



The Bag Lady gathered up her fencing tools (and her mother-in-law!) and away they went to the summer pasture to check fence. She's glad she took her mother-in-law because she had forgotten to take some oats with her...sigh. So back they went to gather up a pail of oats. In a way, it was a good thing she was forgetful, because on the way back for the oats, they saw a mama moose with her very, very young calf! Unfortunately, the Bag Lady was driving on the highway and couldn't stop to take a photo. The moose and baby crossed the highway behind them and disappeared into the bush.

The fencing went well. There was one bad spot that they had to work on, and a couple small trees that had to be dealt with, and another spot that needed a repair, but all in all, not bad. And, other than the moose, the only wildlife they saw were mosquitoes. Hordes of them. Nasty little things.

Here are a couple photos of what the Bag Lady's "office" looks like: (click on any of the photos to enlarge)


Trail along the fenceline. Yes, there is a fence there, but it is difficult to see:
There's a fence here, too! (Both of them are on the right-hand side of the picture.)



The wild roses (Alberta's provincial flower) are in full bloom:



This is one of the pastures:



Here is another pasture:

After they had gone all around the fence, they let the cows out of the smaller pasture they had spent the night in. The cows are a little on the skinny side, and seemed more than happy to get onto all that green grass!

The Bag Lady then came home and spent 3 hours mowing her lawn. She'll do almost anything to avoid scrubbing toilets...but she really can't put that off any longer, so she'd better get at it!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

for some reason that song is often an 'earworm' up in herre.

the toddler and I sing it (well I sing it and she yells) all the time.

does that mean you and I are the same age?

M.

Gena said...

Such beautiful land! In the last picture, if you take away all the tall trees and replace them with shorter, rounder trees, you'll get a good idea of what the land I grew up on looks like!

Missicat said...

Very beautiful - such nice wide open spaces.
Skinny cows? oh no!

Leah J. Utas said...

ah... ride to the ridge where the west commences, gaze at the moon till I lose my senses...
One of my faves.
Glad the fencing went well.

the Bag Lady said...

Oh, Miz, I think I have a few years on you! And I do know the words, jost couldn't think of them...still can't!

Gena - I'm glad you liked that photo - the Cowboy just cleared some of that land, hence the tall trees in the backgound (mostly poplar and aspen). What kind of trees were on your land, do you know?

Missicat - we have a lot of grass over there, and didn't have enough cows for it, so we wanted to get some cows that really needed some feed!

dfLeah - Thanks! Gee, between you and I and Miz, we might actually remember all the words!

Maggie said...

Where the Buffalo roams!(singing)

Where you put the fence up? I would be scared snakes would jump up at me.
Mowed the lawn after all that work. Saying it again! You are my hero!!

the Bag Lady said...

Maggie - thank heavens, the only snakes we have here are itty bitty harmless garter snakes. That said, there are some around over there, and I would have been totally freaked if I'd seen one!!
(Oh, and did I mention that the three hours I spent mowing the lawn was done sitting on my ass on a ride-on mower? We have a HUGE lawn....)

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures...I wish I had that skill!

Geosomin said...

Your office is WAY nicer than mine.
:)

the Bag Lady said...

Mark - Thanks!

Geosomin - I quite like my office, too! Well....most of the time.

P.O.M. said...

Wow - that is gorgeous.

Isn't it where the Buffalo roam?

Anyway - regarding the Invisalign - yes, It's from the Dentist. You go in and get all these x-rays, photos and measurements taken. Then they create a series of these trays. They click in really tight and after a couple of weeks, you get a new tray that is tighter. Until your teeth are straight. I'm on day 3 three here. There is no pain, just a little tight throbbing. But it's getting better.

Unknown said...

So gorgeous. I used to love the hiking for seeing all the moose! Haven't gone hiking in a long time though:( Living in a city certainly has its disadvantages from time to time.

the Bag Lady said...

POM - actually, the buffalo roam a little to the north of here :)

Glad to hear about the Invisalign - sounds ve-r-r-ry interesting...

Sagan - I see all kinds of wildlife in my "office"!

Emily said...

I know I'm a horrible blog-friend for not mentioning you on my post yesterday. However, I've done what any respectable person would do and updated my post to include the excitement I had Monday when I got my bag. Honestly, I opened that before I opened my IRS letter!

The pictures are so pretty- I can't believe how green everything is. Down here the grass & trees are turning brown due to lack of water. UGH

the Bag Lady said...

Emily - I was only teasing! But thanks for up-dating your post!!
And yes, it is really nice and green here right now. We've had a fair amount of moisture, and everything is growing well. I love this time of year!!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Wow, beautiful office!

Um, but where's the coffee machine?

I also can't believe you mowed the grass for so long after all that other work. Even a "riding" mower is work in my book. If equestrians get exercise credit for riding horses, I say you get equal credit for riding a mower.

the Bag Lady said...

Crabby - you have to take the coffee with you in a thermos!! (Actually, the Bag Lady takes the beer in a cooler, but that knowledge might make y'all far too jealous! hehehehehe)

And I knew there should be credit somewhere for sitting on my ass for three hours...yeah, all that abs work, when you have to stay on the mower as you turn corners...that's it!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I love your office! And your co-workers (moose and mooselet!) sound terrific! I'm sure they're much quieter than my co-workers, who are nice but exuberant beyond what is reasonable in the morning.

Reb said...

Great photos Sis! You should make a post on the hazards of your "office", your readers deserve to know.

the Bag Lady said...

BG - mama moose IS pretty quiet, but don't get anywhere near her when she has a "mooselet"!! They are very protective, and just as dangerous as a bear!

Reb - Ssshhh... I don't want them to know the dangers - just let them see the idyllic side! :)

Anonymous said...

are you sure there's really a fence there?

Anonymous said...

Your office is quite spacious... and gorgeous!!! Much more inspiring than the little closet of an office (with no windows) in which I reside. But, I figure, it's still MY office. ;)

Glad the fence repair went along pretty smoothly.

the Bag Lady said...

Fitarella - would I lie? Yes, somewhere in that mess of rosebushes is a barbed wire fence, and I have the scars to prove it!

Susan - thanks! There are days I'd trade for a little cubicle, but not very many!! (days, that is...)