Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Step Right Up

The Bag Lady finally remembered that she did post her recipe for Hot & Spicy Pumpkin Chutney last year, so here is the link to that post.

She is afraid that working at a place where fitness is the main focus is having an effect on her self-proclaimed slackitude! One of the trainers convinced her yesterday that she should join in on a step-aerobics class. So she did. She hopes to recover soon.

She actually did fairly well. She did not fall on her face, she did not have a major cardiac episode, and she did not die of embarrassment because she couldn't keep up. She did, however, have a little trouble with some of the routines. But for her very first time in a step-aerobics class, she thinks she did okay.

At the end of the class, they did a little abdominal work on the dreaded stability balls. The Bag Lady was tempted to slink quietly away, but there weren't enough people in the class to allow that! So she did some abominable ... err.... abysmal... umm... abdominal work! And is pleased to report that the ball only rolled away on her once, forcing her to do the ever-graceful octopus move, but she actually managed not to fall off. Sigh. (She has never claimed to be very stable. ahem)

She does not have to work outside the home today, so is hoping to get some chutney put up (don't you love colloquialisms? Preserving is putting up. Putting down is a different, more permanent type of preserving, in a way...) and catch up on a few other chores. Provided she can stay on her poor, sore legs long enough!

23 comments:

MizFit said...

three cheers for not slinking away!!!

are you soresore this morning? I havent done aerobics in ages but CLEARLY recall barely being able to walk after my first few classes.

get the Rancher to massage you :)

the Bag Lady said...

Miz - I am surprisingly not all that sore this morning! I was a little sore last night, so did some stretching and took a hot bath - seems to have helped!

Levi said...

I figured you'd have to call in sick. I'm shocked you can move around. Though I'm proud of you. Eventually you can lead the classes!

Leah J. Utas said...

Good for you for taking the class. Glad to hear you're not so sore today and that a soak in the tub helped.

Geosomin said...

Yummy - thanks for the recipe :)

I'm glad you tried out the step class. Don't let the near death experience frighten you. It gets more fun as you go along...really :) I like situps on the stability ball myself. I find it doesn't hurt my back like regular situp on the ground do...

Take it easy :)

Scrumpy said...

That's awesome that you did the class! I myself have nearly fallen on my face during a step aerobics class, so you have me beat!

the Bag Lady said...

POD - I'm a little shocked myself! (First, that I actually did the class, and second, that I'm not in more pain than I am!)

dfLeah - I actually kinda enjoyed it (but don't tell anyone, 'kay?)

Geo - I hope you try the chutney! It's really, really good.
And I was so darned afraid of falling off the stability ball that I did NOT enjoy that part of the class!

the Bag Lady said...

Scrumpy - full disclosure? I did ALMOST trip over the damned step once.... but that doesn't surprise me. I am known to be a little clumsy.
Hahahahaha.

JavaChick said...

Go Bag Lady! I bet you'd pick up the routines in no time!

the Bag Lady said...

Thanks, JavaChick!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Good for you! I used to see the step classes going on when I was a regular at the Y, but I was always too intimidated to join in. It looked like everyone knew the routines already and I hadn't a clue when to step, when to turn, or what!

Reb said...

Your dance training should help with learning the routine, then you won't be so clumsy! Good for you for joining the class!

the Bag Lady said...

BG - that's exactly how I felt about it! I probably wouldn't have joined in this time, either, except that the weather kept the class small, so I knew there would be very few witnesses! :)

Reb - well, now, you remember why mom originally put me into those dance classes, don't you? It was 'cause I was so darned clumsy! It helped a little, but some things are forever!!!
:)

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I love those exercise/stability balls. If you work it right, they are nice place to stretch and take a little nap! Just don't really fall asleep or you will fall off the ball...

Charlotte said...

congrats! I bet you did better than you think:) Just finishing is huge!!

Hilary said...

Good for you, Baggie! You're going to be doing your own fitness blog before you know it. Baggie's Balancing Balls!

the Bag Lady said...

kcinnova - I don't actually have to be asleep to fall off one of those stability balls!!

Charlotte - thanks! I was pretty happy I didn't collapse in a heap!

Hilary - thanks - that cracked me right up!

Amy Mullis said...

Exercise?! *Ouch*

the Bag Lady said...

Amy - couldn't have said it better myself! :)

Sagan said...

I LOVE step class!! Thinking about rejoining the YMCA just for that class :)

Also I have the same issues with a bosu ball that you had with the stability ball. I recently tried it out at the school gym with my workout buddy. She was performing push ups off it like nothing else. I fell off immediately, almost knocking into the people on the mats beside me. It was classy.

the Bag Lady said...

Oh, Sagan - I'm so glad I'm not alone..... :)

Marste said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm excited! :D

Also, I'm so going to refer to my crunches as "abominable work" from now on.

the Bag Lady said...

Marste - I hope you try the chutney - it really is fabulous!