Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Doing Nothing

The Bag Lady had a minor collapse last evening. She decided she wasn't going to DO anything. She had worked hard at her job, then had to run a lot of errands in town, so she was tired and wasn't going to do ANYthing. That is, until she remembered the yarn she purchased.....

She sat on the couch and started knitting a scarf. The yarn is of the variegated variety (snicker) so it will be white and green and blue and light blue. It is actually making quite a pretty pattern as she goes along. She knit whilst watching a little television (something that she does very rarely) and she caught the last half of NCIS, which she quite enjoyed. She knit until her hand seized up and told her she wouldn't be able to move it if she didn't stop soon.

She had planned on taking a hot bath and going to bed early, but that fell through during the zoned out knitting episode. She figures, at the rate she knits, this scarf will be done somewhere around June (hopefully, she won't NEED it in June, but in these parts, one can never tell!)

She still hasn't had time to download any pictures from her camera, but hopes to get around to that sometime soon. (It's been so long since she downloaded it, she isn't even sure what's on it now!) She will try to remember to take a picture of the pumpkin that she is planning to decimate soon, too.

She is still having trouble trying to upload pictures to her blog, though, so it may be awhile until she can resume sharing photos with you.

19 comments:

Geosomin said...

Good for you - taking a bit of time to do something you want to. Don't get too busy to enjoy the little things :)

Scrumpy said...

Sounds like a nice evening. And something you should be doing for yourself more often!

Cheryl Kohan said...

Personally I could probably do without seeing your decimated pumpkin but I'd really like to see that variegated yarn and your scarf, thus far.

the Bag Lady said...

Geo - it was nice to just sit and knit, and watch TV. Something I don't do very often at all.

Scrumpy - I think it would be easy to fall into the habit of doing that.... but then I'd never get any of my chores done! (and there are enough chores that don't get done around here now!)

Cheryl - I'll try to get some pictures of the scarf - the problem seems to be that Blogger doesn't want me to share ANY pictures lately. It freezes up as soon as I try.
Sigh.

Reb said...

Sounds like very pretty yarn Sis. I take it it matches you new coat? Can't wait for pictures.

the Bag Lady said...

Yes, it matches the new coat AND the colours in the uniform we wear at work. Cool, huh?

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Taking time to do something you enjoy just for you is a WONDERFUL way to spend the evening. (Although I am sorry you couldn't fit the nice hot bath in there, too.)

I am well-acquainted to taking a day and doing nothing, but then I am mired in guilt when I look at the messy house. *sigh* I need to find a better balance, and also to use the time to DO something for myself rather than wasting the time.

messymimi said...

An evening to just sit and knit. No screaming kids, no bottle feed kittens to tend every two hours.

On the other hand, you do have to deal with the cows.

Sometimes you make ranch life sound so good, yet I know it is hard work.

You deserved the time to sit and knit.

the Bag Lady said...

kcinnova - I hear you on the guilt about the way the house looks.... but sometimes you just need to take a break!
I find, though, if I don't do something with my hands, I eat mindlessly, so the knitting helps with that.

Messymimi - no screaming kids, no kittens to feed! I just finished feeding the cows and the horses, so I can concentrate on something else! :)

Leah J. Utas said...

Good for you.The declaration of nothing sounds like exactly what you needed.

the Bag Lady said...

dfLeah - I think I really did need to do nothing. I feel much better today.

solarity said...

I could do with some nothing, but I don't get much.

Maybe you will inspire me to do some more crochet on the afghan for the baby due in early March.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Sagan said...

You know what your problem is, right? You're just too darn productive ;)

Photos of scarf?

the Bag Lady said...

Mary Anne in Kentucky - I rarely get any nothing, either. It was a bit of a novelty!

Sagan - as soon as Blogger allows me to post pictures, I shall! I seem to be having a little trouble in that department.
Sigh.

carla said...

I need to find a crafty outlet as knitting etc sounds soooooo relaxing.

I mean an outlet beyond coloring pictures of Princesses with the child.

Hilary said...

I'm going to start calling you Martha Stewart. ;)

If Blogger isn't accepting photos from your computer, try using a support site like Photobucket (which is the one I use) to upload them then Blogger just needs to accept the links.

the Bag Lady said...

Miz - enjoy the colouring stage! It won't last forever.

Hilary - thanks. I think the problem has more to do with my computer than with Blogger, to be honest.

(And I'll take the Martha thing as a compliment!) :)

Levi said...

I am going around to all my most fave blogs today to say Happy Remembrance Day and remember those who have fallen and
do not fall.
I love to knit. I want to make something knitty. I stopped knitty when my eyes went though they *do* make glasses right?
I wish your computer worked better. My offer still stands. I'll help. The scarf sounds lovely. i never stopped wearing neck scarves post chemo. They are all the rage.

the Bag Lady said...

POD - thank you for your offer. I may have to take you up on it yet! (darned computer)

And yes, we need to all take a moment to remember all the men and women who have given their lives so we can live.