Friday, May 28, 2010

Taking the Long Way Home

The Rancher and the Bag Lady got a few things accomplished yesterday. The Bag Lady mowed the lawn while the Rancher prepared the motorhome for the season. He discovered a few water leaks so had to hunt down some new washers and do all kinds of mysterious things under the sink.

The Bag Lady worked on planting some of her bedding plants as well - she is really hoping the weather will remain warm and there will be no frost.
After they finished for the day, they built a fire in the firepit in the back yard and sat around with another couple from the neighbourhood who live about three miles away, as the crow flies.
Toward the end of the evening, the fellow who was visiting said "OH, I almost forgot to tell you. The other day I was working out in the yard and could hear our new cat making all kinds of strange noises, so I investigated and found our old cat had come back home! He's been gone almost a year!"
The Bag Lady's ears perked up and she asked what the old cat looked like..... sure enough, the neighbour said he was a big orange cat, and the Bag Lady asked if he had a little crook at the end of his tail.... Apparently, "Frank" had journeyed far and wide, but finally returned home!


It's nice to know your name, Frank!

19 comments:

Redbush said...

Cats, and animals are so amazing! It's unbelievable that he could be gone that long, then return home again. Good for you for having your bedding plants in already! I keep waffling about it, but, I'm sure I will plant them today even though it still feels cool out,and it's supposed to be 4 degrees tonight. I know they can't stay in their containers forever!

Anonymous said...

Frank, or his twin brother, was in Dad's yard when I was up there at Easter.

Abby cuz

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

The prodigal returns! :)

JavaChick said...

Aw! I'm so glad kitty found his way home!

messymimi said...

I'm a sap for a happy ending.

the Bag Lady said...

Redbush - I'm still working on the bedding plants, and, like you, am a little leery about putting them out in the elements! The weather is so unsettled!

Cuzzie - I'll bet it WAS Frank - was he really friendly? This guy does seem to have a bit of wanderlust.

kcinnova - our friend was quite surprised when Frank turned up again. If I had known where he belonged, I'd have taken him home months ago!

JavaChick - so am I! He was such a friendly guy, I guess he just had a lot of visiting to do!

the Bag Lady said...

Messymimi - so am I! I was really happy to hear he found his way home again.

Hilary said...

Awww I'm glad they were reunited and that you took care of him until he found his way home.

Levi said...

Don't kill the fatted calf!

the Bag Lady said...

Hilary - I was glad to find out where he belonged, and that he actually got home again!

POD - ....... too late!!! :)

Leah J. Utas said...

The cat came back. Yay!

Sounds like a fine way to end the day.

the Bag Lady said...

dfLeah - I thought you'd be glad to know he found his way home!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Oh, how cool. Yay, Frank!

solarity said...

I think Frank just wanted a sabbatical.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Geosomin said...

I was wondering whose he was...I'm glad he found his way back home :)

For us I'd settle for no rain. I'm feeling very soggy and pasty white from lack of sunshine :)

the Bag Lady said...

BG - I was pleased to know he found his way home.

Mary Anne in Kentucky - I'm sure you're right.

Geo - I can well imagine how soggy you are feeling! I saw on the news how wet it is there and thought of you. Hope it dries up soon.

The Fifth Sparrow said...

The Cat Came back...the very next day (okay a year later)
The Cat Came Back... they thought he was a goner. (But Bag Lady fed him and loved him up)
Yes the Cat Came Back...he just couldn't stay awaaaay.
So happy he didn't end up as coyote chow.

the Bag Lady said...

Sparrow - the cat was smart enough not to end up as coyote food. He's a Travelling Man..... :)

Cheryl Kohan said...

That's a great little story...so good old Frank really had two homes, huh?

I hope your weather holds, too. It's nice to be outside when you live in climates like ours...there's so little good weather that we always want to be outside when it is actually pleasant.

I have to say the mosquitoes are out in force, this year. Dang it.