Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Foiled Again!

Yesterday was a chilly, snowy day. The Rancher had the day off and had planned to take the Bag Lady to town to do some shopping, but fell asleep instead. When he woke up, he insisted on taking the Bag Lady to town for supper. (Oh, like she was going to argue....!)

So off they went. The roads were not in the best condition, but it was no longer snowing, and the driving lanes were reasonable. When they started down the river hill, they could see down into the valley, and the Rancher took the words right out of the Bag Lady's mouth when he said, "Look at all the traffic!"

There were headlights stretching as far as the eye could see. A split second later, both the Rancher and the Bag Lady realized that the headlights were stretching up the other side of the hill, too, and that there were at least 3, perhaps 4 sets of red and blue lights flashing on the bridge. Fortunately, there is one driveway just after you start down the hill, so the Rancher pulled in there and turned around. No point in sitting and waiting for the accident to be cleared out of the way, and that is the only way to get to town from where the ranch is, unless one were to drive across country to a different crossing on a log haul road. But in order to get to that particular road, one would still have to negotiate the snarl of traffic at the intersection leading to the blocked bridge....so there went the Bag Lady's supper in town!

On the way back to the ranch, they had to pass the Ranchers' mothers' place, so he pulled in there. She hadn't had supper yet, and hadn't really made any decision as to what she was going to have, so the Rancher cooked bacon and scrambled eggs for the women!

Well.... he did promise to take the Bag Lady out for supper, and technically, he did!

The Bag Lady has an appointment today with the physiotherapist, so she will do her shopping too. The Rancher starts night shift tonight, so he may just go with her to town. Or not.

24 comments:

Reb said...

Wow, at least you were able to turn back. So nice of the rancher to cook you and MIL supper too.

Anonymous said...

how sweet of the rancher (and how did he know Miz' fave dinner as well. seriously.)

update us after the doctor...

Penny said...

Oof, those flashing lights send shivers down my spine. I hope nobody was seriously hurt!

GOOD LUCK with your physio today BL! Let us know how it goes!

TA x

Christine said...

mmmmmm bacon!

did you know that this entire country is currently without bacon?

It's totally true!
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1206/pork.html


In other news, I really really want bacon! Oh, fried salty pig flesh... how I pine for you...

the Bag Lady said...

Reb - if he had driven another 30 or 40 feet, we'd have had to go all the way down the hill to turn around at the entrance to the park!

Miz - it IS??? I like having breakfast for supper, too!

TA - I haven't heard anything regarding the accident yet, but if I do, I'll update the post. With that many emergency vehicles, I'm thinking it can't be good....

Christine - I saw that on the CBC news the other night - how terrible! And it immediately made me crave bacon.

Anonymous said...

Turkey bacon! I'd rather have home cooked food than industrial food any day. I'll be thinking of you today! : )

Unknown said...

Aw that was sweet of the Rancher- too bad you couldn't make it into town!

Hope your physio goes well (he has to do shift work? That must be tough).

Leah J. Utas said...

That worked out really well. He kept his word and you got fed and umm...bacon...

the Bag Lady said...

Marianne - it was real bacon. Salty, greasy, sent-from-heaven bacon. ~~sigh~~

Sagan - yes, occasionally during the winter, they have to work nights. Sucks enormously.

I hate it. Means tiptoe-ing around all day. Means not being able to clean my house while he's sleeping. Who wants to vacuum in the middle of the night? Who wants to steam-clean their carpets at midnight? Can you tell I'm not the least bit impressed about him going on night shift when I have to try to get my house clean before we host his family for Christmas?
Oops, sorry for the rant....

dfLeah - I thought so, too. Bacon and eggs with his mom beat going to town hands down!!

Oh, and I just have to share the fact that when I got out of bed at 5:30 this morning, the temp. was -19C. In an hour, it has risen to -5C. The chinook finally got here.

JavaChick said...

Aw, that's a cute story! Well, not the traffic accident part, but the Rancher cooking for you ladies. :)

Good luck with your appointment!

the Bag Lady said...

Thanks, Javachick.

There has been nothing on the radio about the accident, so I'm assuming no-one died.

Geosomin said...

Bacon and eggs - sounds OK to me. J is skilled at Kraft Dinner and Pot Noodles, so it sounds like a gourmet feast by his standards :)

Maybe you can swing a meal with him today after physio? :)

the Bag Lady said...

Geo - that might work....if he can be convinced to go to town!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I guess that's the disadvantage to being rural, or even exurban (far-flung suburban). We may not have all the nifty birds and nature in the inner city, but there's always another way to where you're going. And another, and another.

Eggs and bacon make a fine dinner, btw! :-)

the Bag Lady said...

BG - It is something I consider occasionally - there has been talk about building another bridge in a different location, which would be a good thing.....but so far, it's been mostly talk.

Missicat said...

Glad you didn't get stuck on that traffic...sounded bad! Hope everyone was OK.
Today is really strange, weather-wise - rainy but warm - might get in the 60s or even 70!?!?!

Crabby McSlacker said...

What a great ending to what could have been a frustrating evening! You've got a might sweet husband.

And sometimes I LOVE having breakfast for dinner.

Lucas said...

Mmmmm. Breakfast for dinner. Always a favorite!

the Bag Lady said...

Missicat - as far as I can tell, no-one was killed - it would have been on the radio....I think.

Crabby - he has his moments! And, even though his mom is getting around quite well after her knee-replacement surgery, it was nice for her to have her son cook for her!

Lucas - I know - I'm a big fan of breakfast at night on occasion, too!

Tom Rooney said...

We call this flip flop night in my house, when you have breakfast for dinner. Looks like the rancher did the right thing by you and his mom by being chef for the night. You did too by letting him get a nap in. :)

Anonymous said...

Night shift is icky. I always hated it when SuperDad had night shift - how was I supposed to keep the babies quiet all day??
I'd be perfectly happy to sit in my MIL's kitchen and eat bacon cooked by my dh. All's well that ends well, at least for you 3.
Let us know how your physio appt goes.

the Bag Lady said...

Tom - he works such long hours (usually 14/day) that I couldn't bring myself to wake him up!

kcinnova - any meal cooked for me by the hubby is a good meal!

Hilary said...

Breakfast for dinner can be fun.. except the coffee part keeps you awake. ;)

I hope there were no serious injuries in that accident and that it happened BEFORE you were on the scene.

the Bag Lady said...

Hilary - it must not have been very serious - there was nothing on the radio news....