Sunday, November 29, 2009

Oh No!

An apartment building burned to the ground in the city on Friday night. Friends of ours lost everything except the clothes on their backs. So did 40 or so other people.

A month before Christmas. What a tragedy.

10 comments:

Scrumpy said...

That is so sad. I think a house fire must be one of the most devastating things that can happen to a family.

solarity said...

I can't imagine how overwhelming it must be to try to think of everything you need to replace.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Crazylady said...

oh how terrible! Thank God they weren't hurt at least. My thoughts go out to all those affected.

Reb said...

That is so terrible. I hope they all had insurance.

Leah J. Utas said...

How awful. Things can be replaced, but the memories attached cannot.

Geosomin said...

Oh my gosh...that's terrible.
I can't imagine...I'm glad noone was hurt.Not much consolation I know...

Hilary said...

That's so heartbreaking. Is there any kind of fundraiser in place to help?

the Bag Lady said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. I stopped and visited my friend after work and she seems to be handling it well. She is more concerned about some of the other tenants from the building who did NOT have insurance (our friends did) and lived paycheque to paycheque.

I am trying to find out if there is a fund being set up to help provide some relief for these people.

The good thing (if there is such a thing as a good thing in a situation like this) is that no one was hurt or killed in the fire.

kcinnova said...

So very awful. All have said what I was thinking when I read this.

the Bag Lady said...

It's a terrible thing, kcinnova! But could have been so much worse.