Monday, October 3, 2011

Recipe Day! Who Wants Cake?

The Bag Lady has been extraordinarily lazy busy lately. Between canning, preserving, gardening, cooking, working, and home renovations, she has scarcely had time to make shit up think of something to post on her sadly neglected blog.

She finally processed the last of the apples she brought home from a visit to her cousin. She ended up with a couple of cups of apple juice and 3 cups of applesauce. She searched the internet for a way to use the applesauce and discovered a recipe for an applesauce cake. She decided that the basic recipe sounded good, but it called for cocoa and she wasn't in the mood for chocolate (I KNOW! WTF??) so she set about making up her own recipe. She left out the cocoa and added some spices and ended up with a fabulous cake. Definitely a keeper.

Of course she will share it with you! Sadly, there is no picture because she forgot to take one and the cake is all but gone now. Two tiny pieces are all that remain.

Applesauce Spice Cake

Step One - pick some apples.
(KIDDING!)

1/2 Cup oil
1 1/2 Cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 Cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp each ground ginger and ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Cups applesauce

Topping:
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 Cup chopped, toasted pecans

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350F.
Grease and flour 13" x 9" pan or two 8" square pans.
In large mixing bowl, combine oil and sugar and slightly beaten eggs.
Mix well.
In separate bowl, combine flour, spices, salt and baking powder.
Add flour mixture to oil/sugar/egg mixture, alternating with applesauce.
Mix until well-blended.

Pour into pan.

Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped pecans, sprinkle over batter.

Bake at 350F for 30 - 35 minutes until top springs back when touched.


The Bag Lady served it with whipped cream, but it doesn't really need it (and actually, neither does she, but it was darned good!)

17 comments:

Miz said...

AND
D
R
O
O
L

**proffers plate**

Crabby McSlacker said...

Oh man, you're killing me! I'm a friggin' diet, of all things. Stupid menopause.

If I can get my current kettlecorn addiction under control, I'm definitely coming back for applesauce cake as a reward. That recipe looks WONDERFUL.

solarity said...

Applesauce equal to flour? Wow. Moist!

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Oh my Dogness that sounds good.
I'm kind of glad there's no pic. It might be too much to bear.

the Bag Lady said...

Miz - help yourself, but you'd better hurry - there's only 2 pieces left!

Crabby - I hear ya about the menopause thing. Sigh.

Mary Anne - it is, it is! Moist and delicious.

Leah - haha - it disappeared too quickly to take a picture!

messymimi said...

Yum! What a great way to use applesauce. The family loves it, but often leave the last bits in the jar in favor of opening a new one. A great way to use up what's left.

the Bag Lady said...

Messymimi - it is a great way to use applesauce! (Maybe even worth opening a jar and making the family eat the leftovers!) :)

Charlotte said...

I do! I want cake!!! I love your recipes. Already bookmarked this one:)

the Bag Lady said...

Charlotte - be prepared for it to be gone almost immediately! :)

Anonymous said...

Wait, you have 2 pieces left and no picture? One of them is surely for me, right?
Oh, alright. I'll have to make cake for my guys.
The recipe looks great!

Geosomin said...

mmmm. I was wondering what cake to make on the weekend. Now I know :)
Yum...

the Bag Lady said...

Spokalulu - the guys around here totally gobbled up this cake, so I hope it's a much of a hit at your house!

Geo - you won't regret this one - it's sooooooo good!

Hilary said...

My hips grew by one size just by reading this. Luckily, some weight loss should occur through drooling.

It sounds delish, and strange as it is, I would concur about the chocolate. THAT just doesn't make sense when coupled with menopause.

the Bag Lady said...

Hilary - I know, it is strange! But chocolate coupled with applesauce just didn't appeal!

Reb said...

sounds really good sis.

Sagan said...

This sounds delicious! Mind if I re-post it and link back to you on www.FruitShare.ca?

PS I think you should also let us know how the cocoa fits into this cake for those of us who are ALWAYS in the mood for chocolate ;)

the Bag Lady said...

Reb - it was delicious!

Sagan - certainly, you can link to this! (I will have to look for the original recipe with the chocolate - it seems to me you used 4 Tbsp cocoa, and leave out all the spices except the cinnamon.....)