Monday, July 20, 2009

Meanwhile, Back on the Ranch

The Bag Lady had a wild and crazy weekend.

Well, okay, maybe not. She and the Rancher did have some company on Saturday and a good time was had by all. About the only wild and crazy part, though, was the weather. There were some pretty intense thunderstorms that blew through, but nothing like what they had in Edmonton, where trees were knocked down all over the place and there was quite a lot of property damage.

Here is a picture she took of one of the storm fronts as it moved in.




Both Friday and Saturday were quite hot, and the Bag Lady felt a little sorry for the newest addition to the ranch. This calf was born on Friday and spent a lot of time just lying about in the hot sun!



His mother finally stood up and provided him with a little shade. He seemed none the worse for wear on Sunday, though, and was bouncing and running with the rest of the calves. There are still a few more calves to be born (this has been the longest calving season yet on the ranch!), but they probably won't arrive for a couple more weeks.

19 comments:

Miz said...

His mother finally stood up and provided him with a little shade.

because thats what we mothers do.

I often read your blog and wonder if youve read Ferdinand the Bull?
it was my fave picture book growing up.

if you havent let me know--I need to send you a copy.

Anonymous said...

Y'all had quite the storms rolling through. We are expecting some in the next few days, but I will be skipping town and missing them. ;)

What a good mama that cow is - glad the baby is doing well.

the Bag Lady said...

Miz - I have not read Ferdinand the Bull - not sure how, but I missed out on that one.

kcinnova - we have had some interesting weather around here! But aren't you clever for skipping out on yours!

Scrumpy said...

I never get tired of seeing the little cowlets.

Hilary said...

The light in that storm photo is lovely, Baggie. Nicely done. And nicely done, Mother Moo. So is this calf a Ferdinand or a Fern?

the Bag Lady said...

Scrumpy - neither do I! I'm glad you like them, too.

Hilary - Thanks. This calf is a Ferdinand, so perhaps I do need to read that book....

Aleta said...

I love the "storm moving in" pictures. You can almost feel the winds when you look at shots like that.

Awwww, that baby calf is SO cute!!

JavaChick said...

That's a great photo of the mama cow and calf!

Leah J. Utas said...

Excellent storm photo Cousin.For some reason that calf looked to me like a cat when it's zonked out from the heat.

the Bag Lady said...

Aleta - thanks! I wanted to post a video of part of the storm, but the thunder didn't sound right. Maybe next time.

JavaChick - thanks!

dfLeah - that's exactly what was going on with that calf! It was hot, and he was zonked out.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

We had a big storm here, too, and were ever so grateful for the rain!

I doubt the little calf was any cooler inside Momma. I'm glad he's up and about, playing with his friends. :)

the Bag Lady said...

BG - you have a point about the temp. inside as opposed to outside! I did actually think about that and wonder....

I'm glad you finally got some rain, too!

Reb said...

Good storm photo! That calf is so cute all curled up next to mama.

the Bag Lady said...

Thanks, sis!

Melissa said...

AWWW!!! The little baby!!

Sagan said...

Mmmmm lying in the sun. I love seeing storm clouds rolling in!

the Bag Lady said...

Melissa - probably not quite as cute as your grandson, he?

Sagan - Personally, I'd rather see the storm clouds rolling out... :)

Lucas said...

Getting caught up after being away for a few days BL. Looks like the ranch managed to survive without me. ;) Cute little calf and delicious looking berries! Yum!

the Bag Lady said...

Lucas - hope you had a good time! We muddled along without you, but it's good to see you back! :)